Thursday, 19 September 2013

DIY Gelli Plate

Hi Crafty Friends
I've been doing a bit of experimenting with a DIY Gelli Plate. I fancied having a go at printing, but wasn't sure it was for me, and buying a real Gelli plate would be an expensive way of finding out it wasn't. This only uses one ancient box of gelatine sachets  from the back of the cupboard

Making the mixture is easy, but it took me ages to find a suitable tray, and I did manage to pour quite a lot on the kitchen work top, which instantly formed a glutinous mess that was hard to clear up, so my top tip is:- work on lots of newspaper.
I translated the ingredients to British measurements and it seemed to make 2½ pints. I didn’t have anything that big so I made less and may not have got the proportions right. I used 6 sachets of gelatine to 1pt of water ( ½pt cold ½  pt hot)
It set well. It didn’t have any bubbles and I was feeling pleased, but it cracked a bit when I got it out of the tray, and then I broke the corner off, so this is what I started with. 

Apparently you can chop it up, melt it again in the microwave, and reset it – but I was far too impatient for that!
The good news is it works!
Here is my first ever monoprint. I just used copy paper for starters.

And here is the ghost print I made from it.

And here are some more.

 I made quite a few more, but they all look pretty much like these.
Now these plates are meant to last in the fridge, covered in cling film for several weeks, but mine started falling apart almost immediately. I decided it just added to the texture and carried on regardless.
This is what it looked liked when I’d done

It cleaned up pretty well with baby wipes

 – and if it weren’t falling to pieces, I’d definitely save it for another day. I might microwave it and add it to some more mix to thicken it up. Also I can’t see why you can’t use it in the tray (mine is a retro glass dressing table tray, which I definitely don’t need on a daily basis). That would stop it stretching under the pressure of the brayer, which is what seemed to do the damage.
Ease of making 4/5
Cheapness 5/5 (69p for a packet of gelatine, which was actually an unnecessary expense as I found an ancient packet in the cupboard)
Mess – a lot in my case, but that’s just me
Fun at least 10 out of 5
Even with the shortcomings of mine, I would definitely recommend it, if you want to see if gelli printing is for you, without having to shell out for an expensive gelli plate.

Now I just need to practise getting better effects.

happy crafting

Monday, 16 September 2013

Interactive card

Hi Crafty Friends

This card has been driving me mad - my own fault for having a bonkers idea in the first place. OH's grandson likes Meccano, so his mum suggested a Meccano card.
I figured Meccano has to be interactive, so this is what I came up with

This is the Meccano. I've made little joints so it all moves round to make what shape you like.
And the card is a push me/pull you, so as you pull the tag at one end, a message pops out at the other
The Meccano is only held on by little 'clips' so it can be rearranged.
Now I think I'll have to go and lie down!
(or maybe I should get out more)

Happy crafting

Three of a kind

Hi Crafty friends
Here are three cards I made recently, continuing my addiction to lots of dies and a very limited colour palette.

 Here I made the corners from Spellbinders' 'Elegant Labels 4' which is rectangular, but it's nice to get a different look. The central panel is a die from a Go Kreate lucky bag, so I had to draw round it to get a smaller one for layering
 These are my lovely new Borderabilities 1. So pretty and delicate. The leaves are from Spellbinders Heartfelt creations 'Asters' die set.
The flower is a stamp set from Dimension, which has to be cut out by hand!!  (cue violins)
more of the same. I did this yellowy one first, but cut the borders out of the wrong card stock (it looked different in electric light) so I had to cut some more. Shame to waste the first ones so I found the pink paper to go with them. Now I like that one better.

Happy Crafting

Sunday, 15 September 2013

Diamond fold card

Hi there

Here is a card I did for the Rudolph challenge on Craft mad& loving it. The challenge was to use red and paper piecing

I used a Tatty Button stamp and paper pieced the leaves. We learned the fold at RWS class, so thank you Tracey.
I like the fold and it's easy to do, so I'm planning on a few more Christmas cards.
happy crafting

Friday, 6 September 2013


Hi Peeps
This is a bit of a departure for me. A friend asked for a man's card, with a scene on it. So here is my first effort at a predominantly stamped and coloured card. I masked the image and coloured the sky with ink, shaving brush and masks to get a generally hazy effect and painted the rest with DIs, and then I added some decoupage. The brown matting layer is just card stock I stamped randomly.

Happy crafting