Sunday 11 March 2012

The post card saga continues

Hi Everyone, I missed last week - partying, lucky me - so here are 2 weeks at once.

SWITZERLAND

I based my painting on a photo, and had fun trying to colour shadows and reflections.

And here's what it says

Chillon Castle    July '71
Dear Miss
Well, another year older + another school trip. Let's hope there are no nasty surprises after this one! This is the castle that inspired Byron's poem 'The Prisoner of Chillon' (but I guess you know that). I love Byron. The bit about 3 people who love each other but are all chained to a different pillar + just can't reach each other ... who does that remind you of? In the end, one does free himself, but his brother was dead. Better not leave off building bridges till it's too late eh?
Love Amy
Ps Thanks for your last post card - it helped. You know - you're like pancakes! (A yearly treat, I think I should do more often, but then never do)

CANADA

Not sure Mrs Ambleside liked being called a pancake, but here is her reply


Another watercolour, and here is the back


It says

Winnipeg, Manitoba  Aug '71

My Dear Amy
I was so relieved to hear from you again. I hope things are all right with you. I am most encouraged by your thoughts inspired by 'The Prisoner of Chillon'. Who would have thought Byron would encourage good sense? Please (if you haven't already) make those connections.
I am in Canada, visiting my nephew Clarence. When I told a Canadian on the plane, I was continuing on to Winnipeg and then on to a farm, he said, ' Winnipeg - that's where you can see your dog run away for 3 days! I thought you might like a picture of that
Your friend Mrs Ambleside   (PANCAKE!!)

Now I'm off to look at all the postcards I've missed (I don't like to look until I've done mine). Thanks for all the lovely comments on my previous cards. I really appreciate them
j

8 comments:

  1. Wow!! Jan. what great postcards. love your paintings..Very nice indeed, also your storyline..good to see you are keeping up..lol.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just managing to hang in there Margaret! Must try to keep up this week
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous postcards. You are a talented artist.

    Janet xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb paintings both.
    Jen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story is continuing beautifully, i can feel a real connection between these two :D Your watercolours are simply gorgeous...love the line about Winnipeg lol :D XXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooooo gorgeous! I just signed up for a course to learn more about watercolour. I hope I can be that good one day! I love both of your postcards! ♥
    Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your water colour classes. This is a totally new thing for me too, and I love it. I'm sure you will as well.

    ReplyDelete